Sunday, November 7, 2010

african flower

I haven't worked on an afghan for a long time, but I saw the most beautiful pattern while reading one of my favorite blogs- www.lululizinlalaland.blogspot.com. It is called an African Flower pattern and there are lots of variations. Liz very graciously sent me the pattern and
as I have wanted a light weight cotton throw for my bed I tried the square with a variety of cotton and hemp yarns. This pattern makes an eight petal flower, but there are others that form a hexagon.
The colors Liz chose for her's are absolutely gorgeous. My favorite colors are yellows and pale greens and autumnal hues so I experimented with what I had on hand.
I recently bought some Hempathy yarns in just those colors and decided to use the hexagon version of the pattern. These motifs are smaller and could be used for a blanket, a scarf, or maybe a pillow.
I just love the little flower that forms in the center and can picture it in lots of colors.
I even 'googled' African flower Hexagons at Liz's suggestion and found some beautiful examples. Thank you so much,Liz, for the inspiration!

2 comments:

Qasar said...

Flower is beautiful part of enviourment.Every one likes their sweets smell.
The knowledge about flowers is very well that will given in this website.
Flowers

Lululiz said...

Well, look at you, you have already made loads of those african flower squares! I love the autumnal colours you have picked, they are perfect for this time of the year.