Sunday, November 7, 2010

african flower

I haven't worked on an afghan for a long time, but I saw the most beautiful pattern while reading one of my favorite blogs- www.lululizinlalaland.blogspot.com. It is called an African Flower pattern and there are lots of variations. Liz very graciously sent me the pattern and
as I have wanted a light weight cotton throw for my bed I tried the square with a variety of cotton and hemp yarns. This pattern makes an eight petal flower, but there are others that form a hexagon.
The colors Liz chose for her's are absolutely gorgeous. My favorite colors are yellows and pale greens and autumnal hues so I experimented with what I had on hand.
I recently bought some Hempathy yarns in just those colors and decided to use the hexagon version of the pattern. These motifs are smaller and could be used for a blanket, a scarf, or maybe a pillow.
I just love the little flower that forms in the center and can picture it in lots of colors.
I even 'googled' African flower Hexagons at Liz's suggestion and found some beautiful examples. Thank you so much,Liz, for the inspiration!

1 comment:

Lululiz said...

Well, look at you, you have already made loads of those african flower squares! I love the autumnal colours you have picked, they are perfect for this time of the year.